- We are planning to launch our UCT divestment campaign on campus on 30 July 2014, at 17h30. Details to follow…
- Stanford University has announced that it is withdrawing all its coal investments.
- The fossil fuel divestment movement is gaining ground in the US state of Massachusetts.
- A British parliamentary committee has warned the UK government and Bank of England of the risks that may come with being exposed to the “carbon bubble”, of overvalued fossil fuel reserves and companies, that some believe exists. Our own campaign is premised on the certainty of human, ecological and economic destruction that comes with climate change, and not on the existence of a carbon bubble. But if real, it is certainly a compelling additional reason to consider divestment.
- Calls for the big polluters to take on direct culpability for funding climate change loss and damage are mounting on the sidelines of UN climate talks. See this speech by Saleemul Huq of the Climate Action Network.