The global divestment campaign has been endorsed, by, amongst others:
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu (who has also specifically endorsed our UCT campaign)
- The British Medical Association
- The World Council of Churches
- Former US vice-president Al Gore
- The Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia (and now Australia)
- World Bank president Jim Yong Kim
- And many others… more here.
Our South African campaign has been endorsed by these organisations and individuals:
- Archbishop (of Cape Town) Thabo Makgoba
- UCT Green Campus Initiative
- 350 Africa
- The People’s Health Movement
- Southern African Alternative Energy Association
- Southern African Faith Communities Environment Institute (watch Bishop Geoff Davies explain why divestment is vital)
- Treasure the Karoo Action Group
- Pregs Govender, former MP and deputy chair of the SA Human Rights Commission (in her personal capacity)
- Earthlife Africa
- The Landmark Foundation
- Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation
- Ronnie Kasrils, former minister of water affairs and forestry.
- Simon Gear, anchor of SABC3 environment programme 50/50.
- Nelson Mandela Bay Transition Network
- East Rand Protective Workshop
Academics endorsing the UCT campaign:
- Dr Gina Ziervogel
- Dr Eduard Grebe
- Dr Claire Kelly
- James Irlam, senior lecturer, Health Sciences
- Richard Calland, associate professor, law faculty
- Cormac Cullinan, research associate of the Department of Public Law at UCT
- Phoebe Barnard, lead climate scientist at SANBI: “As a ‘leading Afropolitan university’, UCT can show Africa and South Africa true leadership here.”
- Professor Ralph Hamann, Graduate School of Business
- Tania Katzschner, senior lecturer, School of Architecture
- Endorsements for this campaign are now being added to our petition calling on the University of Cape Town to be true to its own research and traditions, and divest from fossil fuels. If you’re part of the UCT community, please do add your signature.
If you are part of a South African organisation that endorses this movement, please message us so we can add your name. We value all our supporters equally. But if you are, say, a professor or run an investment company, your endorsement, like the names above, could be very helpful, so please let us know.